PUEBLO BONITO RESORTS CELEBRATE DIA DE LOS MUERTOS
Altar exhibits and culinary events scheduled at several properties
Los Cabos, Mexico (Sept. 29, 2021) – While Halloween is a beloved and much-anticipated holiday in the U.S., in Mexico the main autumnal celebration is Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos). These two holidays are as different as night and day.
Originated centuries ago by several indigenous pre-Hispanic cultures, Day of the Dead, a uniquely Mexican holiday, is commemorated on November 1 and 2—All Saints’ Day and All Souls’ Day on the Christian calendar—to coincide with the fall maize harvest. Dia de los Muertos has been recognized by UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific & Cultural Organization) on its Representative List of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity.
Several Pueblo Bonito resorts this year will feature Day of the Dead altar exhibitions to commemorate the holiday, which unfolds over two days in a colorful display of life-affirming joy. A few of the resorts will also serve a variety of special themed meals to commemorate a holiday celebrated by Mexicans to keep alive the memory of departed family members and friends.
Here’s Pueblo Bonito’s line-up of Day of the Dead dining options.
- Cibola at Montecristo Luxury Villas, located high on a bluff overlooking the ocean, will feature a holiday-themed breakfast each morning with Mexican hot chocolate and pan de muerto, a traditional sugary roll dotted with anise seeds and decorated with skulls and bones made from dough. The bones might be arranged in a circle, as in the circle of life.
- On November 2, Cibola will serve a five-course Mexican tasting menu that will feature traditional Dia de los Muertos fare, such as authentic mole, an assortment of pumpkin desserts and other delightful treats.
- LaFrida, the atmospheric restaurant at Sunset Beach, is an elegant candlelit room decorated with the paintings of famed Mexican artist Frida Kahlo. Known for its culinary excellence, this AAA Four Diamond Award winner will celebrate the holiday on both evenings with a special Day of the Dead tasting menu. Given the talents of LaFrida’s chefs, this meal is likely to be a gastronomic knockout.
- A traditional Mexican buffet, complete with lively mariachi music, will be staged on November 2 at Sunset Beach’s La Nao restaurant, which occupies a glass and marble pavilion with indoor and terrace seating available.
- Additional Day of the Day celebrations at Pueblo Bonito Resorts include a special Mexican buffet scheduled for November 2 on the beach at Pacifica, which will give guests a chance to enjoy a festive meal under the stars within earshot of the rumbling surf.
- A traditional Mexican buffet to be hosted on November 2 at Pueblo Bonito Rose’s Mare Nostrum, which overlooks the Sea of Cortez.
Check with hotel concierges for event dining times, reservation policies, and surcharges for celebratory Day of the Dead meals.
For additional information on the Pueblo Bonito Resorts in Los Cabos, access the web site at www.pueblobonitoresorts.com.